Thursday, July 16, 2009

It only took 2 years.

I planted this peony from a bulb over two years ago. It grew great, never flowered and seemed to die over the winter. I mourned the loss and went on with my life. Imagine my surprise when it grew back even larger that next spring. Sadly, it still didn't flower. I knew enough last winter not to be surprised when it seemed to die. (Apparently, it does best when totally ignored from October to March.) Happily, it flowered this year only a few weeks after the birth of my son. I like to think it wasn't just a coincidence. To commemorate the flowering, I took a picture.Take no notice of the dying backyard grass. I can only hope to keep a limited number of living things alive and without a sprinkler system, the grass is impossible to maintain in the summer.

2 comments:

kelly said...

oh, i'm so jealous. was it the one we got at lowes? not sure what happened to my dud. i may have tossed it. i keep my dahlias in a pot in the garage during the winter, and they bloom each summer! they even grow a pale green stem if i forget to move them to the yard...

J. Elle said...

Yes, it was the one from Lowe's. And my dahlias died that first summer, so I'm glad we each got something out of that trip to Lowe's.