Wednesday, October 22, 2008

News

Perhaps you've noticed the new "ticker" in my column to the right. It's true; we're expecting our first child. So far, people have asked/said the strangest/most obtrusive things.

A List (by no means comprehensive) of Things I've Been Asked or Told:

* Had you been trying long? (Last I checked this wasn't your business unless I offered it first.)

* Was this expected/Did you mean to get pregnant? (I am the kind of girl who carries the contents of several cabinets in my purse lest anyone need something. I also try to shop for Christmas gifts all year long. I am not, by any means, the kind of girl who gets pregnant accidentally. No offense if you did.)

* Are you feeling pudgy yet? (No, but why, do I look fat? Thanks so much.)

*"Now you are a sacred vessel." (What can you say to this?)

However, for the record: "yes, we're totally excited and no, we will not be finding out the gender."

10 comments:

Donna said...

Oh Jeni! Congratulations, you sacred vessel you! People say lamest things when it comes to babies, and the making of them. It's a good time to use the phrase 'keep your nose on your own face'! :)

The Close's Place said...

Congrats, how exciting for you guys. Hope you are feeling well.

wendy said...

Congratulations Jeni!! You both will be fabulous parents. I am so happy for both of you. :-)

kelly said...

oh. my. goodness. i. am. so. excited. i love baby lock (hey, that's my mom's sewing machine). can't wait to meet astird or chevy.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

What exciting news! You'll get lots of inappropriate questions and your hormones will make you less tolerant of them as time goes on. My advice is to start early with an attitude of taking everything in the best way possible.

It used to drive me crazy when people would tell me that they wouldn't even guess that I was pregnant in those early months. Since I gained about 15 lbs. in the first trimester and was showing before I was even supposed to tell people - this just meant that everyone noticed how fat I was, but assumed it was due to poor diet and lack of exercise. That was when I decided that I wouldn't survive the following months if I didn't start inferring good intentions. And it worked (sort of).

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!!! Congratulations!!! The comments are only going to get worse, so be prepared!!! So happy for you both!

Jessica Mason said...

Congrats cute girl. Just wait until people you don't know start stroking your belly. WEIRD!

Anonymous said...

why do I have to find ou thtru paul who lives in Texas that u are pregnant...miss you but oh so freakin excited for you guys...oh yeah found ur blog thru Jens page. I like Im thinking baout starting my own ...

Connie said...

How exciting! Wait until people start touching your belly. I slap people that do that!

Lina said...

I found you through Jen Powell's blog and was SOOO excited to hear about Baby Lock on the way. So are you going to keep the placenta? LOL!!! Thought I would add to the strange questions.